Saturday, February 25, 2012

Adventure Day part 4: into the ruins

After lunch, I decided to travel further afield. I negotiated with a taxi to take me out to San Gervasio, a site of Mayan ruins not too far out of town. The cab driver spoke less English than I spoke Spanish, which made the process all the more interesting. She basically had a siesta while I wandered around the ruins.

Most of the area is thick jungle. Stone roads and walking paths connect the remnants of various buildings, cutting lines and curves through the thick growth. It was a welcome change of pace in many ways. There were very few tourists in the ruins, making it some of the most peaceful time I have had down here. The sheer age and state of the ruins was also provoked a lot of introspection; the decay and ravages of time are a reminder of mortality yet the stone still remains, if not eternal then at least enduring.

Photographically, it was hard to do the scenes justice. I have a few more photos that I want to share, but I think they will have to wait for me to get home and have access to more editing options.




2 comments:

  1. I could spend hours rambling about ruins...they fascinate me to no end. Any ancient stone architecture, really....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. It would have been nice to have more time at the site, but there were no good options for me to be able to do that. At least I got to go through it at my own pace- fast walking along the longer paths, and lingering around points of interest.

      Delete