Monday, February 13, 2012

And tonight's dinner: El Fogon! Frijoles Charros and a Taco Loco. My take: very tasty, very filling, very well priced.




Lori: Bram has pretty much summed it up with his comment! El Fogon is my favourite restaurant in all of Playa. The meat is so flavourful and tender. And let's face it, us Winnipeggers are known for being cheap; however I prefer to say that we like value for our money. This is definitely that! We were stuffed, each had a beer, and it was $13.

Now back to the beginning of our day. We started out with a nice slow 40 minute jog. I took up jogging with a dear friend of mine a couple of years ago. I'm off and on with keeping up with it I was mostly off the last several months before vacation due to a bit more stress and burnout, and promised myself to get back on while here.

Then breakfast! I'm here for 6 weeks (Bram for 2) and it would just be ridiculous to eat out for every meal. So we often have breakfast and or lunch in. Typical breakfast is fresh fruit and yogurt. A word about the yogurt in Mexico: amaaaazing! I'm not sure why it's so much better... the fat and sugar content isn't all that different according to the label, but it's so much more creamy and tasty. Today is a dollop each of mango and coconut yogurt with papaya, mango, honey banana and orange.


Then it was off to the dentist. Yep, you read that right, I had a dentist appointment to get fitted for a crown. Some of you may be surprised or concerned that I'm seeing a dentist in Mexico. You probably have good reason to be, as often Mexican standards are very different here. Here's some of the things I noticed that were different: the dentist greeted me himself (no reception), spent 2.5 hours with me nonstop carefully preparing my tooth (no running in and out to other patients), held the xray film in my mouth with his hand while the assistant pushed the button (no shoving big metal thing in my mouth while everyone runs out of the room), showed me the xray and explained what he would be doing, checked several times if I had any pain (none), and told me it was up to me when I felt like paying. This dentist comes highly recommended by several ex-pats that I know who live here, as well as people I know who vacation here and see him when their own insurance runs out at home (which is the case for me). As I understand it, he is from Mexico city but was trained in the US. I go back on Saturday for the permanent crown.

Enjoy these long posts, as I'm sure in a few weeks the repetition of my days will be cause for fewer interesting stories!

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that your first visit with the Dentista went well. This year Dee Dee has an appointment there for a crown the night we get in.
    I'm also very glad to hear that El Fogon still rocks!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. El Fogon does still rock. don Sirloin was good, but I think El Fogon is better. The only real advantage Don Sirloin has is convenience.

      Delete
  2. I am dying imagining how good that fresh fruit and yogurt would taste....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delicious. I'm already missing Mexico breakfasts.

      Delete