Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Brudenell to Campbell's Cove

Trip Distance: 76.71 km
Time in the saddle: 5 hrs 18 min
Lori's new speed record: 44.1 kmh

(Lori writing)
PEI: friendly, definitely not flat. Friendly Manitoba has nothing on PEI. I've been touched by the kindness we've encountered. Here are a few moments just from today.

We were both itching to get back on the road, so we decided to leave Brudenell a day early. We stopped at the camp office to see if they would transfer our last night's reservation to another park. "We're not supposed to do that anymore. It's a new rule this year. But I'll just give you a refund." Kind.

Next I called the hostess of our next campground to see if we could come a day early. No problem. "And it's gonna be a hot one today, be careful out there. If you guys need to be picked up somewhere, just give me a call and we will come get you!" She has also offered to do a grocery run for us, as the nearest grocery store is 25 km away. And we can store our perishables in the camp office fridge. Kind.


First restaurant we found after leaving Brudenell was a golf course at Rollo Bay, 45 km into our ride. We were very hungry and tired. We ordered food: scallop platter that came with fries, coleslaw and a 10 oz glass of local beer and a chicken Caesar wrap. He offered to let us try the beer first. Bram and I liked different ones, so he said he'd split them in different glasses for us. Except that he filled up two glasses full. I said, "Hey that's more than 5 oz!" He said with a smile, "I know." he continued to chat with us, and the subject of wine came up. He asked what we liked and I told him that I've recently discovered Apothic. "Oh! I have to give you one that I make, just a minute." he went to his cellar, brought us a bottle of wine that he makes and distributes and tossed in a cork screw so that we could enjoy it at the end of our ride. Also made sure we had enough to eat, saying he had more fries if we wanted (we didn't, we were full). No charge for the extra beer or wine. Kind.


It was a long brutal ride today. My speed record is indicative of the hills we had to climb before racing down the other side. Twice we had to get off and push our bikes to the top of hills. But I have made peace with the hills. Before this trip, I wondered if I would hate hills more or the relentless winds of flatland Manitoba. I've decided I prefer the hills. Don't get me wrong, I would take a nice flat tailwind any day, but inevitably you have to turn around and fight the headwind. With hills, you can conquer them and feel victorious. And you always get an exhilarating break on the downhill.


We are now at our rest stop of Campbell's Cove Campground for a few days. No cell service and only a small wifi footprint. And Bram is making me peanut butter cup s'mores as I type this. :)

12 comments:

  1. Mmmm...s'mores! We discovered Apothic in Calgary last summer. Almost impossible to get in T.O. Lori girl, when you're back we'll skype over a glass...or two. Hugs to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. even though you say that is was a brutal biking, it sounds like you guys had a great day. peanut butter s'mores? guess we'll have to try those, I think Dee Dee will love them :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, now that I understand the physical requirements, I am more mentally prepared for it. Plus the beauty of the island helps to distract from the pain in my body!

      We used peanut butter cups for the s'mores. Yum!

      Delete
    2. I Had to make them over our one-burner stove. I think they'd be even better over a proper campfire.

      Delete
  3. Loving the blog! Feel like Im part of an adventure.....which is pretty exciting for my life right now:) Have fun

    H
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of these days we'll go camping together. I suspect more cars and fewer bikes will be involved :)

      Delete
  4. Oh lovely! It sounds so fabulous. I'm glad you two are being treated with such excellent kindness. :)

    Love Darla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another act of kindness: our camping neighbors just went to the "nearby" town of Souris and have offered to bring back some fresh local fish/scallops, fruit and veg. After a delicious supper, they will the take us with them to a cailidh (Kay-lee), a local music gathering of guitars, fiddles and bagpipes! We are looking forward to it!

      Delete
    2. There is much good karma floating around the island. It is simply fantastic.

      Delete
  5. I love that action shot of you, Lori! You look happy in spite of the hills. Thanks for sharing your travels!! So inspiring!! Veroniek

    ReplyDelete