Thursday, July 19, 2012

The pre-trip pile o' stuff!

This trip really requires Bram and I to coordinate our best skills:
Lori - planning, organizing, details, online research, saving money, cooking
Bram - navigating, packing, physical strength/endurance, mechanics

Along the way will likely be stories of how our skills worked really well together... or were disastrous! The planning part of the trip lent itself well to my skills, and so I did a lot of the upfront work. However, Bram is now playing 3D Tetris with the piles o' stuff that we have to pack. I made the detailed list (which I will share at the end of this post for folks like Mary and Dave who are trying to plan their first bike tour with only a couple of months lead time!)... and Bram gathered it all up and decided how to pack it efficiently into 8 panniers.

I really should have gotten a shot of the pile o' stuff that made our living room a disaster for the last week, but here is the result of Bram's careful packing and organizing. He even was clever enough to organize the stuff into panniers by purpose (ie: all kitchen stuff in one pannier, all my clothes in another, etc.). Also for Mary & Dave and others who may be planning a bike tour one day, the panniers we decided on were: 2 pairs of Arkel Sakaroo 40L, 1 pair of smaller MEC everyday ones that I've had for years, 1 pair of Axiom Typhoon 32L (waterproof).


I've mostly been sitting around all week while Bram has figured that out. But then out came my organizing and OCD-like skills! I thought it would make at least one (me), and probably both of us crazy to keep trying to figure out which was the <insert purpose type> pannier. So I made waterproof labels and attached them to the straps of the appropriate pannier! (I know that Alison loves me just a little bit more right now.)


Here is the list o' stuff (which still changes tiny bits as I remember to add things). There are a few small luxuries, and most everything is either lightweight, collapsible, and/or multipurpose. Some things are not obvious luxuries, such as my travel pillow, which takes up a fair amount of space when technically I could just use a stuff sack filled with clothes or something (which is what Bram will use):

aquapac (waterproof sleeves for our iPad & iPhone)
bag balm
bandana
big spoon/spatula
bike repair book
bike tools
biking jacket
biking socks
bikini
bug spray
bungee cords
cables
camera stuff
camp soap
collapsible water bucket
clothes pins
dishes
dish towel
Diva cup
dress
duct tape
electrolytes
eye drops
first aid kit
fleece
flip flops
garbage bags
glasses
gloves
guy lines
hammock & rope
hatchet
helmets
hydrapack
ibuprophen
ipad
iphone & speakers
keys
laundry soap
lighter
lip balm
lock and cables
long sleeved shirt
matches
mophie
nightshirt
oven mitt
packing tape
pants
paper towels
pot
protein bars
pump
folding grill/rack
rain gear
sharp knife
shoes
shorts
shower kit (shampoo, soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, dental floss, lotion, razor, deodorant, clippers, tweezers)
sleeping bags
sleeping pills
solar chargers
spices
sporks
stove & fuel
sweats
swiss army knife
sunscreen
tarp
tensor bandage
tent, fly, tent poles, tent pegs
thermal mugs
thermarests
tin foil
toilet paper
top
towels
travel pillow
tubes
vitamins
wallet
warm socks
wine flask
ziplock bags
zip ties



1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you brought pot on your trip. ;)
    V

    ReplyDelete